Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Napkin Scrawl #15 - Rude Awakenings

Although the last couple of days have been, to say the least, depressing, I have great hopes for today. I spent the better part of yesterday and last night, rapt in my own creative juices, steeping in fun, good times. It helped to let go of what ever it was that seemed to bring me down over the past days. Last night, when I finally reached my limits and required sleep, I felt as if I had accomplished something. I knew this night was going to be restful.

Morning always seems to come so quickly, especially on the nights where you sleep all the way through without disruption. However, this morning I wasn’t awakened by alarms or husband. No, Jasper, our German Shepherd mutt woke us with a start as he attempted to vomit up what he had eaten the day before. Yes, you are right, disgusting! However, that’s not the end of my story… nope, there’s more.

Jasper is about eighteen or nineteen months old. He is still very much a pup. Albeit very well behaved and housebroken. He is a house-dog who sleeps in my room and sometimes thinks he belongs between my husband and me as we sleep. Often he decides that cuddling is meant for him as well and he’ll hop up onto our bed and attempt to cuddle with us should the notion arise.

One thing Jasper loves is to tear things apart. A dog toy might last a week with him if we’re lucky. However, we found out one day, that Jasper loves those cardboard tubes that you get after using a roll of paper towels or toilet paper. He takes them and shreds them into confetti. He knows them by the name “festive tubes”, which my husband so fondly named.

Lately, Jasper has sprinkled the house with confetti. Where he gets these tubes is beyond me. What a completely festive dog!

When Jasper gets a bit over zealous with his toys or tubes, he ends up eating some of it. That is when we get the rude awakening of him trying to bring up whatever it was that he ate the day before.

Now, we’ve become really good at hearing these random sounds and wake quite easily to run him outside before he actually retrieves whatever is in his stomach. This is my husband’s job because I don’t glide down the stairs quite as elegantly as he.

This morning was a bit more of a challenge. We heard the vomitus sounds and as usual jumped out of bed and rushed Jasper outside. However, when the husband returned, there was an unpleasant odor in the room. After accusing each other of the stench, I later realized the Jasper decided not to wake us in the middle of the night to tell us he needed to be taken outside. Usually, this sort of urgency doesn’t happen, unless he’s been eating the wrong, well shall we say, foods.

I was left alone to find the culprit stench. Yes, you guessed it, the mother lode was in my walk-in closet. I stood there staring at this pile wondering why it didn’t find my husband’s athletic bag, shoes, or his pants that he threw to the floor. No, he hit the middle of the closet room floor.

Why is it that we women are always on cleanup duty? When baby poops his diaper, we get the cleanup, spit up, again we get the cleanup. When DOG vomits, pees, or soils the carpet, we get the cleanup. Where's the fairness in that! I guess men are wimps and just don’t have the stomach. Well, you guessed it, I got cleanup!

Yes, this was my morning wake up call!

No comments: