Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Napkin Scrawl #2 - Mom Time

"Hisssssss," a sound erupts from my very own mouth as I walk outside my front door. The sun seems brighter then I remember.

"Ugh…" I groan as I drag my feet out the door to drive my boys to their physical education class.

I was rudely awakened this morning to the deep gravely voice of my oldest son. "Mom, mom! It's me, Matthew… Mom, we only have 20 minutes… We have to leave." As he argues the point with me that today is Wednesday, I bury myself deeper in my comfy, cozy bed. I hate Wednesdays.

Last night wasn't a quick to bed night as it should have been. There were many distractions to keep me from my goal of early sleep… A new friend needed a shoulder to cry on just as I began to log off from my portal into my obsessed world and a very lonely husband realized he missed the attention only I could give. I should complain, but I can't all these things are important too.

Morning approached so much faster than I remember. But, like a good mom, I stave my grumblings and roll from my bed. As I stand by the side of my bed, my husband embraces and whispers his apologies for not waking me sooner. He kisses me gently and leaves me to my shower.

I climb into that one place I know that I have complete solitude. Standing in the hot spray of water, I watch as the steam rises to surround me. This…. this is my time… This is most enjoyable. As my eyes open to the scent of shampoo, my mind fills with a jumble of things to do. My thoughts begin to erupt more clearly, "P.E., writing, coding, writing, email, writing, coffee, writing…" What the hell? You’d think I there was something important on my mind.

As I climb out of my fortress of solitude, I wrap my towel around me and stroll to my bedroom door. I order up coffee only to hear there is none. I sigh a painful sigh. How am I to perform without nectar from the gods? I’ll manage…

Cleaned, dressed, and out the door in ten minutes, a record I think, we’re off. Why is it so bright? The trees and cacti seem greener than I remember. The sky bluer than I’m used to….not a cloud in the sky. It actually looks picturesque.

We arrive at the park where P.E. class is just beginning. It is warm for 9 am in the morning… just a reminder that I now live in the desert. Today is different. Today the park is full of little people. Their clothing so vividly bright… their voices so high pitched, screaming as the run to the playground. I wonder if school is out… again?

As I sit here in my truck, I sense eyes staring at me. There's a knock on my window. I look up to see my neighbor friend smiling down at me. She greets me as she sees I’m deep in thought. She giggles and says, "I was heading to Starbucks for coffee and thought you might like me to grab you something." I must have, "Need coffee" tattooed to my forehead. I feel my smile reach my eyes as I blurt out thanks and gratitude for her offer. "I would LOVE a Suicide!" I tell her. She takes my order and what little cash I have to give her to get that sought after nectar of the gods.

As I sit here watching the children play, I realize that I am not in pain, albeit I am stiff and need a good stretching, but the pain I once had is no longer here. I also realize that springtime is the most amazing time of year. All that was dead or sleeping awakens once again.

I feel like a sleepy, grumpy bear, awakening from a long hibernation. I emerge from my cave into the brightness of a new season. The air is fresh, the greens greener, blues bluer. There is an excitement in the air, a buzz if you will of busy-ness. If you sit long enough, you can almost hear nature waking up.

The children approach as I realize my quiet time has come to an end.

1 comment:

Hoku said...

I really like this one, it's so real and I can relate. We're wives and mothers...what else can we do but what we gotta do right?